Saturday 23 November 2013

I am no Telemarketer

 Blog #2

Don't get me wrong, ideally and mainly our job is to make sales and sell insurance policies over the phone. However I prefer being more customer based and focused. You need help, you have questions? I'd try to help and I'd try to answer your questions as best as possible. Why you might ask? Because I am nice. Sometimes I find people rude and horrid on calls, but other times I can talk to someone and its the complete opposite.
   For example, my fave call was when talking to a lady who didn't work as she was looking after her parents in their late nineties. I told her that that was quite admirable, to which she then said 'I guess, but sometimes they can be so annoying and get on my nerves and I feel so horrible as a person for feeling that way'. This was a lady who really needed an insight on life and a recharge of motivation. I gave her advice, I told her that I'm sure that when you were a baby squeeling and crying and having to have diapers changed that they would have felt the same then. It was a new point of view for her and she hadn't thought of that before. Plus she also wanted to maybe be a caregiver later on in her life to which I said that caring for her parents would be great for gaining experience. The moral of that call, I helped someone who I would never meet and probably never talk to again. I didn't sell her insurance but I gave her free advice before life could get too tough on her. Later after the call had finished the same lady had called our customer service department and left them with a compliment for me saying I was a great assest to the company. The email was forwarded to our whole department and it really made me appreciate the time I spent listening and talking with someone, a person, who could then turn their own life around and get back on track.

There are other calls I've had that have just been good cherry conversations with people that like talking once they are aware your a human too and not a company robot. I've talked to people who rescue turtles and keep them at their house to look after and care for. I've also spoken to people who sound lonely and needed to talk to someone (which ment the calls are long and hanging up is a mission and a half) but it means keeping them company even if for only 20 minutes. Lots of my calls are to stay at home mums too and I admire that they would do that too, watch and raise their kids and see them grow up and learn, but also just being there every step of the way. I can also talk to a lot of people that aren't interested in the product at all, but they nicely say it rather than get pissed off about it and hang up like so many others.
I know there are people out there in the world that are lovely and plesant and it is always one of ten that can be the bed eggs. Its just that somet,es that one bad egg can really become a central focus for me and just upset me for the rest of the day. 

The last thing I wanted to mention in this blog, is that I like my job. The people I work with are amazing, friendly and very supportive. The pay is amazing and so are the bonuses. And there are always prizes and treats up for grabs. I don't think i've had to pay for movie tickets for a while as I manage to win vouchers at work! So my job has lots of perks and good features, their just sometimes hard to remeber when you get a bad call, but when I get a great call it can set my mood for the whole day to be great no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment