Thursday 28 November 2013

Knitted scarf by an amatuer - part 2


Knitted scarf by an amatuer - part 2

Day 1 - I put in a whooping 4 hours of knitting time in while watching tv episodes to make good use of my time and made it to the 30cm long mark! I managed to start out with 15 stitches and gain an extra stitch along the way, I have no idea how I managed to add a stitch. I swear they just appear. And I have no idea how to fix it, so I just kept going!

Day 2 - worked on the scarf for another 4 hours and 30 minutes! Half of the time I did while at work. Seen as all I need at work is my voice and a headset my hands are free to carry out projects like this and christmas decorations! And somehow I am now on 17 stitches wide and a couple of random holes have popped up.. Again... I have no idea how to fix that so I just carried on. The holes aren't too noticable unless u really look at it and know its there.
 The other half of my scarf hours were while at home catching up on The Originals tv series. Nothing like knitting while watching vampire babes killing other vampire babes! And oh hello another added stitch! I really do admire any one who can knit and keep the stitches consistent, especially as they seem to appear by fluke chance when I knit. Ended the night at about 11.15pm and with a length of 60 cm! 2 days and double the length each day. At this rate just two more days of knitting and I will be done! Super excited to start and complete my very first scarf all by myself :)

Day 3 - morning - just spent and hour and a half knitting before heading to work. The scarf is getting quite long now, will measure at the end of the day and also check the amount of stitches I have.. I have a feeling that I am on 19 now. Opps.
- afternoon - I managed to spend a full 3 hours and 50 minutes knitting while at work. Great thing I can multi task! And i was right I have 19 stitches wide now that I am working with. They magically apleared I swear. I also think I made a total of 4 holes in the scarf... But they are little so it doesn't matter. The one thing i picked up on was that the tail end of the string that is used to wrap around the needles for the basic and generic knit; I would wrap it around my index finger on my right hand so it was faster and quicker to manipulate. That my muscle memory picked up on the longer I knitted for. 
-evening- I got home from work and realised I couldn't knit as the last metre of wool I had was all knotted and tangled! I literally spent an entire hour untangling the extensive knot it had formed. Good thing I had youtube keeping me company. Then finally around 11.30pm I made it to the last 10 cm of the ball of wool to which I realised I had no clue how to tie it off with out it unravelling. I then found a 2 minute video on youtube called 'how to bind off your knitting for dummies' video channel - fordummies. Subsequently a funny video name to click on in the first place. But seen as I had never finished a scarf before... It made sense to continue watching it even after the title appeared in the video's first 3 seconds. Once i figured that out which was super easy compared to casting off I clocked off and completed the scarf at 11.52pm! A whole day earlier than I expected. The scarf is 8cm wide and roughly 120cm long. It is a little bit shorter than I would have liked, but I only had one ball of wool, and boy I know if I had a second ball I would have no clue as to how to attach them together nicely.

So there we have it. 3 days and I started and fully finished the scarf all on my own without getting bored in the process! Horay! 

Photos to be posted up on facebook page - Tali attempts arts and crafts
Please share and like my page. Leave comments and tips.
Also let me know of a project you think I should tackle! Post me photos or youtube links and I will try and attempt majority of the ideas posted.

Special thanks goes to:
My mum-  who originally taught me how to knit all those many years ago, and would have to re teach me ever time Id try to start a scarf project. Thanks for putting up with me all those years!
Subscribers- whonhave been tracking my progress
And also to 
Knit world - who i brought the wool from and the super nice ladies That served me at the Wellington store when I came in to find some nice wool colours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment